Ask your medical adviser or hospital staff about pain relief if required.
- Feed your baby frequently from birth, without limiting sucking time.
- Take your bra off completely before beginning to breastfeed.
- Avoid giving other fluids.
- Wake your baby for a feed if your breasts become full and uncomfortable.
- Use warmth before feeds.
- Express a little before feeds if baby has trouble latching and staying on.
- Massage the breast gently while you are feeding.
- If necessary, express after feeds.
- Use cold packs after a feed to keep you feeling comfortable.
- Careful use of cool washed cabbage leaf compresses.